Zucchini Lasagna Revised




I have made this once before and it came out fantastic!!! I decide to make it again and do some minor tweaks to it. The leftovers turned out to be one of my favorite lunches. 


I found the original recipe/idea at: 

yourlighterside.com/low-carb-recipe-lasagna-without-noodles-zucchini/

I did have to make a few modifications so the recipe I'm posting is the one I made. 


Ingredients:

  • 2 Large zucchini squash
  • Olive oil Cooking spray
  • 2 Cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Cup mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion, chopped
  • 1 LBS Ground Turkey or Ground Beef (I used Turkey this time)
  • 12 oz Jar of Pizza Sauce (I used the Ragu Brand)
  • 3 Cups shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 2 Cups Cottage Cheese, full fat
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1.5 TBS dried chopped Chives
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Wash the Zucchini's and then using a peeler, take of the outer skin and discard. 
  3. Using a sharp knife cut the Zucchini into 1/4 of an inch strips.  
  4. Add the Zucchini to a large sauté pan sprayed with Olive Oil Cooking Spray. Add a little Salt and Pepper. 
  5. Cook on high for about 5 minutes. 
  6. While the Zucchini cooks, chop the Onion, Mushrooms and mince the Garlic. 
  7. Remove Zucchini and set aside on a plate or bowl. 
  8. Add the Onions, Mushroom and Garlic to the pan. Add a little Salt and pepper. You want the Onion and Mushrooms to be slightly brown. 
  9. Add the Turkey to the Onion/Mushroom mixture and mix well. 
  10. Brown the Turkey.
  11. Add the Pizza Sauce and mix well. 
  12. Turn the heat down and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occationally. 
  13. Mix Cottage Cheese, Parmesan Cheese and Chives together. 
  14. Using a deep baking pan. I used my 8x8 pan but the recipe recommends a  12x12 pan. Use your judgement. 
  15. Put the Layers together **see below
  16. Cook for 25 minutes or until it starts to brown on top. 
**The Layers (from the bottom to top)
  • 1/2 of the Meat mixture
  • All of the Zucchini 
  • All of the Cheese Mixture
  • 1/2 of the Cheese Mixture
  • 1-2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers

I'm Still Here!

Low Carb Hash-Browns