Holly's Low Carb Onion Rings

Growing up, I always had a love of French Fries and some fast food items.  

With my Mom, after a hot day at the beach with friends (and later on with my sister) we would pick up soft serve ice cream from McDonalds. Even as an adult, before my weight-loss and it was hot day, once in a while I would swing through the drive thru and get a soft serve ice cream. 

My dad LOVES fast food and would take me more to Burger King. I discovered that this chain they had onion rings. As I have stated before my Dad HATES Onions, but I never have. In fact, as an adult I like them. They need to be cooked though. I don't law raw onions, especially in salads.  

A small burger chain opened up in Hawaii about 10 years ago named Teddy's. Their burgers are so tasty and can be on the larger side. I have alway gotten the smallest size and now a days only get the Turkey burger with no bun. Before I started my weight-loss journey Mike and I would eat there about every 4 to 6 months. They serve onion rings, and they are good. They are typical deep fried battered goodness. And because of the deep frying and fattiness, I have not had an onion ring in almost a year and a half. Tonight, I ended that and in a massively good way. 

I came across this recipe and it gave me an idea of how to make onion rings in a more healthy way. 

www.delightedmomma.com/2012/04/baked-thyme-onion-rings.html

I decided to tweak it and make it more of my own. And wow, these came out good. In fact, Mike just ate them plain. Which is odd because he generally likes ketchup with this type of food. I had mine with some low sugar ketchup, light mayo and yellow mustard. They got a nice sweetness to them. I used a Maui Sweet Onion. (I cannot say anything bad about these onions and are my favorite). How good are these Onion Rings? We ate them all! We have no leftovers. That is just plain unheard of in our household! The sad picture I have, does not do these justice. Hopefully, next time I make these, which for sure I will, I will take nicer pictures. 




Ingredients:

  • 3/4 of an onion 
  • 3/4 of a cup of almond meal 
  • 1/4 Cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 TSP onion powder
  • 1/2 TSP garlic powder
  • 2 eggs
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
Directions:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. 
  2. Cut the onion. You want to make them round pieces. This time I cut the pieces somewhat thinly. Next time I will for sure cut them thicker. 
  3. Beat the 2 eggs in a bowl. Add some salt and pepper to the eggs. 
  4. In a different bowl add the almond meal, parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. 
  5. Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil.  
  6. Dip the onion pieces into the eggs. 
  7. Then dip the onion pieces into the almond meal/parmesan mixture. 
  8. Lay the pieces on the baking sheet. 
  9. Bake for 20-25 minutes and watch them so they do not burn. I burned only a few luckily. 
  10. Serve while still hot. Use the garnish of your choice. (see above for what I used)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers

I'm Still Here!

Low Carb Hash-Browns