Buttermilk Roast Chicken



I have made this many times. I was at Safeway the other day and saw Buttermilk was on sale so I decided to grab some chicken. I love this chicken and highly recommend it. Make sure to marinate this for 1-2 days, the longer the better. I usually marinate for 2 days. But I have to work tomorrow night so I had to make it tonight, so it only soaked for 1 day but it was fine. I made a new green bean recipe to go with it instead of my usual mock mashed potatoes (cauliflower).

I used a lot of paprika on it right before I put it in the oven and it came out extra flavorful. 

Ingredients: 
  • 2 Cups buttermilk
  • 5 Garlic cloves, peeled & smashed
  • 1 Tablespoon table salt
  • (1 Tablespoon granulated Splenda)
  • 1.5 Teaspoons paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
  • Lot of freshly ground black pepper
  • (1 Tablespoon of your favorite hot sauce or to taste) -- I actually used some red pepper flakes to give it a little kick. 
  • 2 Pounds chicken parts (I usually use either legs or thighs and only make about 1 pound)
  • Drizzle of olive oil
  • Flaked or coarse salt, to finish
Directions: 
  1. Whisk buttermilk with garlic, table salt, (Splenda), (Hot Sauce), paprika and lots of freshly ground black pepper in a bowl. 
  2. Place chicken parts in a gallon-sized freezer bag (or lidded container--I do this!) and pour buttermilk brine over them, then swish it around so that all parts are covered. Refrigerate for at least 2 hour but preferably 24 and up to 48 hours. More is better. 
  3. When ready to roast, preheat oven to 425 degrees. 
  4. Line a baking dish with foil (not absolutely necessary, but makes clean up a lot easier).
  5. Remove chicken from buttermilk brine and arrange in dish. 
  6. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle with additional paprika and sea salt to taste. 
  7. Roast for 30 minutes (for legs, thighs and wings, approximately 35 to 40 for breasts), until brown and a bit scorched in spots. 
  8. Note: I like to broil it for the last 5-10 minutes to get the scorched spots. 
  9. Serve immediately.  
You can use thick slice pork loin or pork chops instead of chicken. 


Nutrition Facts: 
Serving Size 178g (about 6 oz)

Amount Per Serving
Calories: 242
Total Fat: 4.8g
Saturated Fat: 1.4g
Cholesterol: 117mg
Sodium: 1280mg
Total Carbohydrates: 2.1g
(Sugars:1.1g)
Protein: 44.7g

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers

I'm Still Here!

Low Carb Hash-Browns