Mike's Birthday: Sugar Free Oreo Cheesecake


(Sorry you guys but this picture does not do this justice)

Yes you read that right, I made a Cheesecake. Have I ever made Cheesecake before? No. Do you know that I literally jumped and danced when I found Sugar Free Oreo's at Safeway. Oreo's have always been one of my favorite cookies. While Mike and I were in Pittsburgh, PA this past week for his brother's wedding everyone had a cake for Mike. His Mom, Dad and his close friend Pam. He also got cake at the wedding too. I had a feeling he was caked out a bit. Luckily, I have never been that crazy about cake. I do not care for the frosting and the texture of the actual cake bothers me. But I LOVE cheesecake. I have joked I would rather have a cheesecake or pie for my wedding reception. I think now I may cave and just do cupcakes but that's a whole different subject and post. 

Today one of Mike and I's good friend stopped by to watch some of the Steeler's game. I asked if he would like some Cheesecake and he was more than willing. For the most part, I like sugar free stuff and Mike is not a picky eater. So it helped getting an outside opinion. He pretty much licked the plate clean. It passed and I felt it was officially blog worthy. I originally made this Cheesecake on Thursday for Mike's birthday but due to both of us falling asleep early due to Jet-lag we had to push it back. I then got a last minute babysitting job on Friday night and worked till 2 AM. So it got pushed back another day. Finally, I told Mike we have to have the Cheesecake last night. I have tried making a few sugar free deserts and honestly, they have never been that great. But this one, came out fantastic! I paired it with a little sugar free vanilla ice cream and Mike and our friend had it with regular vanilla ice cream. 

Ingredients:

Crust:
  • 25 Sugar Free Oreo cookies
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted. 
Filling:

  • 4 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese. (You can buy Philadelphia Cream Cheese in blocks and it is easier to cook with. I always get the 1/3 of the fat kind. I do not like generic cream cheese, it's got to be Philadelphia)
  • 1 1/2 cup of Splenda
  • 2 TBS flour
  • 4 large eggs, at room temp. 
  • 3 large egg yolks, at room temp. 
  • 1/3 cup of heavy whipping cream
  • 2 TPS vanilla, divided
  • 15 Sugar Free Oreo cookies, coursley chopped
  • 2 cups sour cream (I used full fat-- it was recommended in the original recipe)
Directions: 
   Crust:
  1. Butter a 9x3 springform pan. 
  2. Break up cookies and process in a food processor until crumbs. Add butter and mix until blended. (I do not have a food processor but was able to use my protein shake blender and it worked fine). 
  3. Press the mixture into the pan and 2/3 up the sides. 
  4. Refrigerate while preparing filling. 
   Filling:
  1. Beat cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth. (I usually cheat and microwave it for about 20 seconds. It makes it a lot easier)
  2. Add 1 and 1/4 cups of Splenda, mixing for about 3 minutes until fluffy. 
  3. Mix in flour. 
  4. While beating continuously, add eggs and yolks, mix until smooth. 
  5. Beat in whipping cream and 1 TSP of vanilla until well blended. 
  6. Pour half the batter into crust.
  7. Sprinkle with the chopped Oreos. 
  8. Pour remaining batter over and smooth top. Some Oreos may rise to the top.
    Baking:
  1. Place pan on baking sheet. (This is for in case of spillage) 
  2. Bake in pre-heated oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. 
  3. Reduce temp. to 225 and bake for 50 minutes or until set. 
  4. Remove cake from oven and increase temp to 325 degrees. 
    Topping: 
  1. Stir together sour cream, remaining 1/4 Cup Splenda and 1 TSP vanilla in a bowl. 
  2. Spread over top of cake and return to oven to bake for about 7 minutes or until sour cream begins to set. Took mine about 10 minutes. 
Let cool and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight, leaving in Springform pan before removing before serving. I used a knife to cut and to get everything loose. I highly recommend pairing it with Vanilla Ice Cream, sugar free or not. I use Dryer's Slow Churned Sugar Free Ice Cream. I do not use a ton of ice cream but give me cookies, cheesecake and ice cream any day.  I got this recipe from: http://www.beforeandafterhelp.com/index.php?showtopic=8744&st=0&p=99235&#entry99235

It's a bariatric weight loss surgery board and you need to sign up for a free membership to see this recipe. They have a ton of recipes and I have used many and have put a handful on this blog. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers

I'm Still Here!

Low Carb Hash-Browns